Sunday, November 16, 2008

First things first

The purpose of this blog is for me to experiment with writing as it relates to medicine. For those of you that might stumble on this blog through the randomness of the internet, I am going to direct my writing and thoughts toward medicine. The majority of my interaction with medicine and the medical world comes through the Air Force, and my general surgery residency at Keesler Air Force Base.

Although I wouldn't necessarily call the Kessler Hopital a true "medical center", that's what I will refer to it for simplicity sake (and because thats what it's actually called). Because many of my experiences are negative, thats how this blog may feel--negative--thus the title, "Ugly Medicine." Sitting in the few interviews for medical school that I was fortunate enough to get (I wasn't the ideal student, i.e. I had hobbies besides reading, eating, and breathing medicine) was enough to make me think that the practice of medicine had simple ideals and goals. That idea was correct, but the implication of those goals is where things begin to fall apart, or at least get sloppy. But, I should have been smart enough to know that where people get involved, things get ugly.

The first two years of medical school were painfully boring. Looking back now, it would have been helpful to have a framework to put the minutia in, but I didn't have a big picture. As a result, knowing the rediculous details of cell biology fell on deaf (and bored) ears. During the second two years, I felt like I lacked a direction. As residency became nearer, I picked what seemed to be a rewarding career and one that allowed free time--Emergency Medicine. However, thanks to my signature on a military contract, I landed in Biloxi, MS doing a surgical internship.

That gets us to now, and I'll fill in the details as the blog progresses.